PhD: 1990 Cochin University of Science & Technology
MSc: 1981 Marine Biology, Annamalai University
BSc: 1978 Zoology, University of Kerala
Profile: Dr. Sunil K. Mohamed is a Retired Principal Scientist and Head of the molluscan fisheries division at the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi. He received a PhD from the Cochin University of Science and Technology for his work on crustacean physiology. Apart from his extensive contribution to Indian cephalopod biology and population dynamics, he has also made significant contributions to the growth of commercial bivalve mariculture in the country. His interests in marine ecological modelling particularly its application to fisheries management has lead to many significant contributions to fisheries management in India.
Awards and Recognitions
1991 Jawaharlal Nehru Award for best PhD thesis from ICAR
2011 TVR Pillay Aquaculture Award for outstanding aquaculture research and extension
Secretary, Marine Biological Association of India, Kochi
Member of the Technical Advisory Board of the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), London
Interests: Focus of Research: Cephalopod fisheries Bivalve mariculture Trophic modelling and fisheries management
- Punya, P and Kripa, V and Padua, Shelton and Mohamed, K S and Nameer, P O (2021) Impact of environmental changes on the fishery of motorized and non-motorized sub-sectors of the upwelling zone of Kerala, southeastern Arabian sea. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 250 (5).
- Saji Kumar, K K and Ragesh, N and Sabu, P and Sasikumar, Geetha and Mohamed, K S (2020) Distribution, abundance and growth of early stages of the glass squid Galiteuthis glacialis (Cephalopoda: Cranchiidae) captured in Prydz Bay, Antarctica during austral summer. Deep-Sea Research Part II. pp. 1-6.
- Saji Kumar, K K and Sasikumar, Geetha and Venkatesan, V and Vidya, R and Alloycious, P S and Jestin Joy, K M and Karamathulla, S P and Nataraja, G D and Mohamed, K S (2020) Distribution, age and growth of the diamondback squid, Thysanoteuthis rhombus (Cephalopoda: Thysanoteuthidae) from the tropical Arabian Sea. Fisheries Research, 224. pp. 1-9.
- Saji Kumar, K K and Jeyabaskaran, R and Binesh, C P and Mohamed, K S (2020) First Record of the Mimic Octopus Thaumoctopus mimicus (Cephalopoda: Octopodidae) from the Arabian Sea: Range Extension and Genotyping. Malacologia, 63 (1). pp. 115-122.
- Venkatesan, V and Saji Kumar, K K and Alloycious, P S and Jestin Joy, K M and Mohamed, K S (2020) Rare observation of scar-bearing cuttlebone in a wild-caught Sepia pharaonis (Cephalopoda: Sepiidae) from southeastern Arabian Sea. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India, 62 (1). pp. 123-126.
- Saji Kumar, K K and Ragesh, N and Mohamed, K S (2020) Renewed research focus on cephalopod resources in the Southern Ocean. Marine Fisheries Information Service; Technical and Extension Series (243). pp. 7-15. ISSN ISSN 0254-380 X
- Suja, G and Lijo, J and Kripa, V and Mohamed, K S and Vijayan, K K and Sanil, N K (2020) A comparison of parasites, pathological conditions and condition index of wild and farmed populations of Magallana bilineata (Roding, 1798) from Vembanad Lake, west coast of India. Aquaculture, 515. pp. 1-8.
- Saji Kumar, K K and Sasikumar, Geetha and Mohan, Gishnu and Kripa, V and Alloycious, P S and Mohamed, K S (2019) Age and growth of the little Indian squid, Loliolus hardwickei (Gray, 1849) in the Arabian Sea. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. pp. 1-5.
- Bhendekar, S N and Mhatre, V D and Sasikumar, Geetha and Mohamed, K S and Chellappan, Anulekshmi (2019) Bivalve Fishery of Sindhudurg and Ratnagiri Coast, Maharashtra, India. Journal of Coastal Research, 86. pp. 225-257.