M.Sc. Marine Biology, Pondicherry University, Port Blair campus, Andaman & Nicobar Islands (2015).
B.Sc. Life Sciences, Ramnarain Ruia College, Mumbai (2012).
Advanced Open Water Diver, PADI, Andaman & Nicobar Islands (2015).
I have always been greatly fascinated by the human dimensions of nature and strongly believe in the need for interdisciplinary solutions to address the complex problems of the Anthropocene.
My broad interests lie in understanding patterns of natural resource use and drivers of transitions in social-ecological systems. Being a Marine Biologist by training, oceans, fisheries and coastal communities appeal to me the most. Over the past few years, I have had the opportunity to interact with fishing communities from Maharashtra, Andamans and Lakshadweep. I have been associated with Dakshin’s long-term community-based fisheries monitoring programme in the Lakshadweep Islands since August 2015.
At present, I oversee Dakshin’s research and interventions aimed at sustainable management of Lakshadweep’s fisheries. Our efforts are geared towards creating an alternative, inclusive and holistic model of fisheries development in the Lakshadweep Islands. In the future, I am also keen on diversifying and exploring other geographical and thematic areas to understand and address larger issues in sustainability.
Publications and Project Outputs:
- Academic Posters
- Marine Science for the Masses: Community-based fisheries monitoring in the Lakshadweep Islands (Presented at the 5th International Marine Conservation Congress, Kuching, Malaysia, June 2018)
- Popular Articles
Presentations at Conferences/Symposia:
- ICT4Fisheries Conference, Cape Town, South Africa (October 2019)
- 3rd World Small-scale Fisheries Congress, Chiang Mai, Thailand (October 2018)
- SPEEC-UP, Bangalore (August 2017)
- Student Conference on Conservation Science, Bangalore (September 2016)
- Ravi-Sankaran Inlaks Fellowship (2017 ): Small Grant to conduct an implementation-based project to develop and test a prototype mobile application for community-based fisheries monitoring in the Lakshadweep Islands.